Opening Statement and presentation of evidence by the Defence in the Abd-Al-Rahman case: Practical information
On 19 October 2023 at 9:30 (Hague time), the Defence for Mr Ali Muhammad Ali Abd-Al-Rahman will make their opening statement before Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court (ICC). Dr Cyril Laucci, Lead Counsel, and Mr Iain Edwards, Associate Counsel, will make their statement in open session and will have up to 9 hours to do so. The Defence will then start calling its witnesses and presenting its case.
Background: Mr Abd-Al-Rahman is accused of 31 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed in Darfur, Sudan, between August 2003 and at least April 2004. The trial in the case The Prosecutor v. Ali Muhammad Ali Abd-Al-Rahman ("Ali Kushayb") opened before Trial Chamber I on 5 April 2022. 56 witnesses appeared in the courtroom during the presentation of the Prosecution’s case and the Prosecution has finished presenting its evidence. On 5 June 2023, the common Legal Representatives of Victims made an opening statement. On 5-7 June and 16-17 October 2023, they were authorised to call one witness and participating victims to provide their views before the Chamber. Trial Chamber I is composed of Judge Joanna Korner, Presiding Judge, Judge Reine Alapini-Gansou and Judge Althea Violet Alexis-Windsor.
Attending the hearing:
- Members of the diplomatic corps, NGOs and other members of the public can request attendance via email to: [email protected] before 13 October 2023. Attendees must present a valid passport or valid ID with a photo at the main entrance of the Court (at: Oude Waalsdorperweg 10, 2597 AK The Hague).
- Journalists wishing to cover the hearing can request accreditation via email to: [email protected] before 13 October 2023. All journalists must present a valid press card, and a valid passport or valid ID with a photo, at the main entrance of the Court (at: Oude Waalsdorperweg 10, 2597 AK The Hague).
Individuals who have not received a confirmation in advance of the hearing will not be granted access to the building. Those attending are advised to arrive 20 minutes in advance before the hearing starts.
Images of the hearing will be available for download in video (MPEG-4) and audio (MPEG-3) format, and for viewing on the official ICC YouTube Channel.
For further information on this case, check here
- Case information sheet: English, French
- Corrected version of 'Decision on the confirmation of charges against Ali Muhammad Ali Abd-Al-Rahman ('Ali Kushayb')', 9 July 2021, ICC-02/05-01/20-433
- Directions on the conduct of proceedings
For further information, please contact Sonia Robla, Chief of the Public Information and Outreach Section, International Criminal Court, by telephone at+31 (0)6 46448726 or by e-mail at: [email protected]